Summer School brings together some of Australia’s finest teaching artists to mentor and nurture your creativity. Immerse yourself in a week of music-making heaven where participants will learn how to jam in groups, create new sounds, songs and learn about other cultures, styles. For the first time we will be introducing a dance component for those who just can’t keep still!
WHAT IS CREATIVE FUSIONS SUMMER SCHOOL?
The annual Sounds Across Oceans SUMMER Music School is a unique music-making program designed to offer participants an opportunity to learn, share and collaborate with outstanding professional musicians. The 5-day CREATIVE FUSION SUMMER school is an ‘out of the box’ musical exploration that helps people unlock their creative potential, develop an appreciation for
other cultures and build skills and confidence to express themselves in a safe and supportive environment. Partnering with BEMAC, Brisbane’s premier multicultural organisation, musicians will team up with some of Queensland’s finest teaching artists to jam, collaborate and compose new music that will be presented in a gala performance showcasing original ideas and
compositions developed throughout the week-long learning journey.
WHAT TO EXPECT DAY TO DAY
- Intergenerational Learning Platform through all-in group percussion and vocal sessions each morning
- SAO LABS – small multi-instrumental and vocal breakout groups (streamed to appropriate age and skill levels) jam in different styles with teaching artists to build new ideas and compositions
- SAO Master Classes – observe the teaching artists collaborate through open rehearsal sessions followed by Q & A
- Movement Sessions – stretch, move and learn some fun dance moves
- SAO Orchestra Session – together as a collective to share and create a magical wave of music as one
- Experience a rich array of music from the ancient to the contemporary, from soothing jazz and classical sounds to world fusion and beyond.
- Have fun, build confidence and self-awareness through creative expression
- Be inspired to share your original artistic voice
- Develop of core musicianship skills through improvisation, intercultural collaboration and co-creation
- Learn about other cultures and traditions
- Build life-long skills in communication, listening, empathy and compassion
- Experience the joy and exhilaration of being on stage for gala performance & the process involved to deliver a concert
We are super excited to be announcing very soon details for our SUMMER SCHOOL 2019. Creative Fusions will be held in the final week before the Queensland school term starts. Stay tuned for more details…
WHEN: Monday 21 – Friday 25 January 2019
INCLUDES: 5 days of music making fun and self discovery
THE SAO TEACHING ARTIST COLLECTIVE
Our experienced team of teaching artists, led by SAO founder and artistic director Dr. Anthony Garcia, includes a diverse and talented group of artists who have reached the pinnacle of their respective musical traditions, they include; Dheeraj Shrestha (tabla/percussion), Ruth Ghee (Indigenous artist/singer), Rafael Karlen (saxophonist/composer/musical director), Deb Suckling (Pop-rock artist, singer/composer), Tnee Western-Dyer (multi-instrumentalist/singer/composer/musical director) and Rebecca Karlen (strings/voice). There will also be surprise spotlight visitors throughout the week-long program who together with the SAO TA collective will be sharing unique musical skills, sounds and stories to inspire new thinking about what is possible both musically and creatively through the SAO experience. This year we will also be introducing a special dance facilitator each afternoon to help all participants develop flexibility, body awareness and stretch out and have fun.
TESTIMONIALS SUMMER MUSIC SCHOOL
“Sounds Across Oceans enabled me to harness my songwriting and creative skills resulting in the release of my first EP. The mentors Anthony and Deb were incredibly inspirational and supportive throughout the entire process, and I highly encourage anyone who wants to explore their inner creativity to participate.”
Molly Waters / Student
“It taught me lots about other instruments and how my instrument fits into the world of music.”
Rosie / Student
“The kind of exposure SAO gave my daughter was brilliant and instrumental (pardon the pun) in inspiring her to be really get into her practice this year so she could have the basics to explore and experiment with.”
Michelle Hildebrand / Mother